Here is a list of some of the questions I want to ask the obstetrician tomorrow:
Questions about the future
Questions about the future
- If I get pregnant again could I return to the Royal Women’s Hospital even though I now live out of its catchment area?
- Could you still be my obstetrician at this hospital or could I see you privately?
- In a future pregnancy would there be any benefit to having a private obstetrician for more frequent monitoring?
- I have heard of women at risk of premature labour being given progesterone injections throughout the pregnancy with good results. Would this be appropriate for me?
- I have also heard of women being recommended bed rest at 20 weeks. What about this?
- What about a cervical stitch?
- What are the chances of having a full term baby in the future after a premature birth?
- How do you manage anxiety in the weeks of a new pregnancy knowing that nothing is ever really safe anymore?
- How long do I have to wait before getting pregnant again? Is there an optimum gap?
- Do I have to worry about my increasing age causing more potential problems?
- Is there anything I can do to better prepare my body for next time? Eg. get fitter, eat different things, etc.
- What monitoring would you do next time? Extra visits? More scans? More bloods or swabs?
Questions about causes
- In your opinion, what are the chances that my antidepressant caused this? Would you agree with my psychiatrist on maintaining this treatment in a future pregnancy?
- Could it have been the drug I took for hyperemesis (severe morning sickness). How could hyperemesis be treated differently in a future pregnancy as this also caused significant depression that could have been avoided
- I heard of a condition called an incompetent cervix. Could it be this?
- Was there any evidence of an infection that could have caused it?
Questions about our experience
- What did our baby experience during labour and at what point did he actually die? What is his official cause of death?
- Do you know any other babies that have had better outcomes at 23 weeks. Do most people choose not to resuscitate? What would you have done?
- How many babies are born at 23 weeks?
- If I’d recognised signs of labour earlier would this have made a difference to the outcome?
- When do you think my labour would have started? Did I mistake the signs for normal pregnancy aches and pains?
- Why was Max so much bigger than expected? Did this mean he was older than we thought, and that therefore he should have been resuscitated? Could I have had gestational diabetes that made him bigger than his actual age?
- Why did no one ask me if I wanted to bath him? I did not realise this was an option but have since found out from others that I should have had the option.
- Why was I not put in touch with any of the support organisations or given one of their bereavement packs before I left hospital? I left with empty arms.
- Why was the social worker so inept and why did she give us no information apart from a list of funeral homes we could ring?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting my blog. Please feel free to share your thoughts or feelings, big or small, with me here.