Thursday, May 3, 2012

A big week for a little cat

It has been a big week for our little baby cat. Today Sebastian went into hospital to be de-sexed - a procedure I have been dreading for weeks! I know it's for the greater good (and indeed a condition of his purchase) but I just felt so cruel subjecting him to it nonetheless. The thought brought up all these horrible shuddery feelings, much like I get when I think of circumcision, and it makes me feel all sick and sweaty.

I have an overactive empathetic response in general, and in this case it provided me with many thoughts of what it would be like in a parallel universe where the animals are in charge and they send me, a mere human, along to be compulsorily sterilised without considering my opinion or asking for my consent!

Our vet, whom I trust implicitly, told me that the procedure would really not be a big deal for our little cat, though, and that he would not feel any different afterwards. Apparently it's quite a simple procedure for a male cat, and stitches aren't even required, so I was pleased to hear that he wouldn't have to wear a big bucket around his tiny little head to stop him from chewing them out!

We've cleared our calendar for the next couple of days to look after our baby just to give him some extra tender loving care.

Contrary to the example set by his big brother, Sebastian wasn't at all hard to catch and put in his cage. In fact, Leslie opened it and he came right up to it and walked in of his own volition! He got some serious brownie points for that. It's always so traumatic trying to get Pepper into the cage and he's very adept at sensing when you're thinking about it, and hiding himself up inside the couch where there's no chance of getting him out!

Poor Sebastian did disgrace himself on the way to the vet by doing a poo in his cage. Consequently I spent the entire trip dry-retching and shivering as I had to put all the windows down and it was bloody freezing!

When I got home from dropping him off, Peppy seemed so happy to have the house for himself! He was even batting around a few toys (which he hasn't done since Sebastian's arrival) and is now resting on my well-loved electric lap blanket and keeping me very good company while I type this. Bliss!


Peppy making the most of Sebastian's absence!
In the lead up to his operation this week, Sebastian has been very busy.

There were rooms to wreck that needed a kitten's touch:

All of these things were previously on the kitchen table...

And games to play with his big brother:




And lots of sleep to be had on the top floor of Peppy's tower:


The black lump on the bottom floor is Peppy!
There was also a crawling baby to launch himself upon. I had a visit from a friend and her ten month old son yesterday. Said baby was smitten with Sebastian, and Sebastian was intent on tormenting said baby in every way he knew how. The baby would chase him and Sebastian would lay down as if he wanted to be caught but then scramble out of reach at the last moment, leaving baby very perplexed!

Sebastian also found it highly amusing to sit on the arm of the couch and threaten to jump on the baby's head when he crawled past. It was quite stressful trying to predict his next move so as to try and prevent serious infant injury. Lucky this particular friend is an animal lover!

When it came time for them to get home Sebastian made himself comfortable in the tray underneath their pram and seemed keen to stow away. At this point, I would have gladly parted with him for a night so I could get some peace!

Sebastian is home from his day in hospital now and is recovering well. He's quite sleepy and extra clingy, but otherwise seems unscathed. Richard, the vet, said that he and Sebastian had a one hour nap in the surgery together today as he (Richard) had been up until 3am the night before! The staff were not keen to give my baby back at all and were all gushing over what a beautiful animal he is.

It was so cute when we finally got home because Peppy seemed glad to see him after all and gave him a lick. He has been looking out for his little brother all night and they are both sharing the electric blanket as I write this. This blanket is the hottest property in the house (ha ha, no pun intended) so it means they must really be feeling friendly towards each other if they are not fighting over ownership rights!
Sebastian on the car trip home from hospital
Home at last and snugged up on the electric blanket. It's a cat's life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please feel free to share your thoughts or feelings, big or small, with me here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...