Anyone who knows me well will know my very strong views on vaccination.
I don't believe vaccination should be compulsory or state-mandated. I value personal choice and I think people should be left alone to live their lives how they see fit for the most part. However when people make choices that are known to have a negative affect on the health and wellbeing of others around them, I find my beliefs are balancing on much less solid ground.
So, when I read of an increasing number of parents refuse to vaccinate their children, I find myself feeling very uncomfortable indeed. I believe in their right to conscientiously object to vaccination in a general sense, however I also believe every parent who is able to do so has the moral obligation to vaccinate their children, not only to protect their own children's lives, but the lives of others around them who are too young or too sick to be inoculated, and who therefore rely on herd immunity for their protection from potentially deadly, yet preventable diseases.
I realise vaccination has become a very emotive issue, mostly as a result of the emergence of a variety of predominantly internet-led conspiracy theories that have linked some vaccines, erroneously, with autism and other serious conditions. From the perspective of a mother who has lost her child for reasons that I only wish had been preventable, I cannot fathom how a parent fortunate enough to have a living child could take such a real risk to their children's lives in choosing not to vaccinate against preventable diseases. I do understand that most people who object to vaccination are doing so for the exact same reasons - to protect their children from what they see as perceived harms, however it is an established scientific and medically-accepted fact that vaccination saves lives. Of course, as with any medical procedure, there are associated risks, however minute. Those small risks are outweighed very easily when you consider the alternative that we are facing, though: the re-introduction of dangerous childhood diseases that we'd previously successfully eradicated.
The anti-vaccine movement is a predominantly Western, middle-class phenomenon. Such parents are only able to convince themselves their children are better off protected from the 'evils' of vaccines precisely because they are privileged and fortunate enough never to have seen first hand the devastation caused by polio or to have ever been touched by a child's death from diphtheria or whooping cough. You don't have to go too far from Australian shores, and sometimes within Australia itself, to find communities still devastated by the outbreak of vaccine-preventable diseases because they lack the funds and public health programs to exercise the very choice that many anti-vaccinators so vehemently oppose.
I am one of those privileged parents. Perhaps I'm even more privileged in that I am a highly-educated woman with multiple degrees and a consequent ability to conduct reliable research, assess information, and to draw conclusions from what I find. Though I have had much opportunity to practice those higher-order thinking skills, and am probably more experienced than the average person in using them, I don't for a minute, however, profess to know or understand more about topics as complex as infectious diseases and public health than experts who have devoted their entire careers to such matters. The thing that bothers me so much about anti-vaccinators is the arrogance many of them profess when they say 'I know best'. If you're going to take a stand against widely-established and credible facts (and you're entitled to do so) you really need to be able to reference more than a series of discredited studies and a bunch of usually anecdotal, instead of empirical, evidence.
As fast as passionate anti-vaccinators can search the internet for yet another anecdotal story that 'proves' vaccines are dangerous, science is busting the shit out of each and every one of their assertions. For a very layman's explanation of how it is doing so, you could begin by reading this. I can see the anti-vaccinator's point of view, and I can see their fear, but I am able to recognise that the evidence shows those fears are predominantly misdirected. Personal experience of an adverse event after vaccination, which underpins much anti-vaccine rhetoric, does not stand as a valid argument against otherwise compelling, established evidence. There are two so-called 'logical fallacies' at play here. The first is that anecdotal evidence can never be a true measure of proven statistical realities, for reasons that are explained very simply here.
The second is making an argument based on false cause. This is the type of thinking which posits a 'definite' causal connection between two different events (i.e. my child was vaccinated, and later developed autism, therefore vaccination caused my child's autism) can be intensely problematic, and is also often deeply flawed, although very common amongst objectors to immunisation.
The evidence shows that the odds your child will suffer an adverse reaction to immunisation are very, very slim. The statistics are explained very clearly here, in a handy graphic, and the same website has a lot of really interesting information about the actual facts in question.
At any rate, it's all very well for us to sit around and argue about it, or for me to try and intellectualise how I feel about it, but these things have been been discussed much more eloquently in so many other places. But while we argue, because of falling vaccination rates, babies and other people with vulnerable immune systems, are experiencing the very real consequences of anti-vaccinators' actions, or as the case may be, inactions. This baby's death from pertussis (whooping cough) is just one of many that are needlessly occurring. Newborns can't be vaccinated for pertussis until they are a couple of months old. This baby relied upon those around her having immunity to the disease for her survival from it. She died.
This particular case also highlights the need for parents, grandparents, and others who spend their time around young babies to ensure that their immunity from infectious diseases has not waned over time. Just yesterday I received the pertussis/diphtheria/tetanus booster in recognition of the fact that we hope, soon, to be able to try for another baby. Knowing what it is like for a child to die, we could not knowingly put an otherwise healthy child at risk of dying from something we had the means to be able to wholly prevent. For the record, the vaccination really bloody hurt. My arm is very sore and tender today and I couldn't sleep on my side last night. But it's a hell of a lot less painful than the alternative: the potential serious or fatal illness of a child you know or love.
Though I'm able to understand where anti-vaccinators' points of view come from, even whilst disagreeing with them, I know I'd find it hard to maintain the same level of understanding for their cause when I am holding my own vulnerable baby in my arms and am desperate to have it live. I know that there's no way I could let my newborn baby within spitting distance of a knowingly unvaccinated person and be able to sleep at night. I'm also aware that this is likely to cause some problems in the future for our family as Leslie has a few of these erroneous vaccine myths circulating amongst his own family members, who, as a result, have chosen not to vaccinate their young children. That story is one to be, unfortunately, continued.

I just felt compelled to comment, in the spirit of respect, of two babyloss moms with different perspectives on this issue.
ReplyDeleteWe do not follow the standard schedule. We have discussed the risks of of this course of action with our GP. We have also discussed, quite extensively, many of our concerns with the standard schedule with our doctor and looked for assurances and answers to questions that he could not (to date) provide. He is satisfied that we have a good grasp of the intricacies of the situation. Ours is an ongoing situation, that may alter with time, and other with circumstances.
My eldest child will be eight years old in a few months' time. So, we've been going against the mainstream for quite a while. I do not judge other parents for their choices, even if I would not choose the same path for myself. I've volunteered on a message board over the years helping other parents come up with workable schedules they could bring to their children's doctors and peds: essentially drafting a plan they can bring to their health care providers and use as a tool for further discussion.
I guess what I'm saying is that it comes down to respect for others choices, like you mentioned in the outset of your post. Everyone wants what is best for our children. How we perceive that is different in every family, and what is best for one family may not be for another. Many of us are not blindly following some spewed anti-vaccine rhetoric from questionable websites. Some of us have been delving into the studies and medical literature for close to a decade now and are still hashing it out with our doctors (who agree that we have reasonable grounds for concern). I hope that you can strike a balance with the extended family members you mention, who perhaps (obviously I don't know them and can't say one way or the other) might have some reasonable grounds for concern and are not just jumping on some bandwagon.
I wish you all the best. I hope you can find some common ground with your extended family, and as always, I'm sorry for the loss of your sweet Max.
With kindness and respect,
J.
Oh and one more thing:
ReplyDelete"I know that there's no way I could let my newborn baby within spitting distance of a knowingly unvaccinated person and be able to sleep at night."
I would also advocate against having the baby around any fully vaccinated person with symptoms of the common cold. That is how pertussis starts, and while vaccination /may/ reduce the risk of transmission, it is not anywhere close to 100%. Especially in Australia where the latest published studies indicate that the bacteria have evolved away from the strains in the vaccine. In our family (anecdote alert), it was my husband, who was up-to-date with his boosters, who brought home pertussis and gave it to our 23 month-old. Both recovered fine without incident, but I've seen it fail to prevent transmission first hand and would urge anyone with a newborn to be vigilant about any adult or child with URI symptoms, regardless of vaccination status. Studies also indicate that the bacteria have evolved to take advantage of older, previously vaccinated hosts. So, better to play it on the safe side and keep anyone with the slightest sniffle away until the critical period has passed.
Dear J,
DeleteThanks for your comment, and for sharing your perspective on what is a highly fraught issue! I've been writing this blog just for myself and my partner over the last 7 months before making it public, so a lot of it is me working out the thousands of thoughts and anxieties I have about so much stuff now that my baby has died. I didn't expect anyone to be reading my tirades, but now I realise they are, so I must do you the justice of responding.
I appreciate your difference of opinion, and I certainly don't object to it. Even if I did, well, it's none of my business what other people choose to do, I'm well aware that there are probably tonnes of things that I do, or would do, that others would consider to be 'risky' or inexcusable, so I am not a person who likes to throw stones, so to speak.
Like I said, I do understand that people on both sides of this debate all come to it from the exact same place - a desire to protect their children against harm, anyway they know how. I can't argue with that. I also can't argue with people like yourself who have obviously undertaken careful research, and made decisions in consultation with medical professionals, that are best for your children, and your unique situation.
My experience with the people I mentioned is that their information is not adequately researched or compared or communicated. Whereas I'm willing to have my knowledge challenged as new information comes to light, knowing that I am not an expert, they are not so willing, and automatically reject anything 'mainstream' medicine has to offer as inherently designed to cause harm and make money for pharmaceutical companies, even when it actually might be the best way. I don't think the medical or scientific professions have everything right, but I don't think the dedicated, intelligent people who spend their whole lives trying to develop new medicines and treatments do so for either of those reasons - they do so as they want to improve public health and save lives.
This is just one of many issues that has become more emotive for me since Max died. I feel so helpless that there was nothing I could do to prevent what happened, and when I think of people who could do something to prevent a bad thing happening, but don't, for whatever reason, it makes me feel sick. But, I can imagine how another person whose baby has died could rationalise it the opposite way, as in, 'I don't want something bad to happen to my baby so I don't want to vaccinate even if there's only a small chance something could go wrong'. I get that, I really do.
Oh, and I completely understand that even vaccinated people can transmit infection or disease. My fear is that any baby of mine will be under threat from every direction. My desire is to prevent as many of those threats as possible, and I guess I view vaccination as one of a series of ways of reducing them.
It's so complicated. Everything, for me, feels so complicated these days.
There is huge diversity in this baby loss community, as is to be expected as it's a microcosm of the wider world. I'm glad of that. I visit many baby loss blogs whose authors are deeply religious, for example. I am not, and even though I don't share those same beliefs, and sometimes they make me feel angry or sad, I can have respect for them, and I find it interesting to see how our differing beliefs change or colour our journeys, or more interestingly, how even in the face of extreme difference, our journeys have so much in common.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts so respectfully. This is how differing views should be able to be expressed, so we can learn from each other and have our world views challenged and expanded. I am glad to have you here remembering Max with me.
Wow, your words are just so well written and beautifully articulated. I feel like the shabby step-sister in a sense. :) I know you don't know this, but after I lost C., I didn't write, well much of anything, for months and months. I think the first non-work related piece I wrote was almost two years later, describing the birth of my second daughter. So, I'm in awe of your gift with language.
DeleteOh and I was also in a world pre-blogs. I felt very much alone in my loss. Aside from a couple of message boards, there wasn't much support out there. It was as if we'd fallen off the edge of the earth, into a black void, and were just on our own.
And I agree, everything is so complicated. Honestly, I think it stays that way for a while.
You're right that arising from our loss, our perspectives can vary, coloured by our experiences. Perhaps others see our choices re: health to be a bit of a non-sequitur given we have lost a child. I know that I did everything right in that pregnancy. Everything. I ate nothing but organic. I even gave up caffeine (ack, if you know how much I love coffee, you can imagine how tough it was). No hair dye. No electromagnetic radiation. Heck, I told people not to use mobiles near me. Then she died anyway. And from that I took that I cannot control it. I will not be reckless (according to our own family moral compass and ethics) but I will remember from this point forward that it is out of my hands.
...to be continued in a second comment (Blogger doesn't like it when I get verbose).
That said, it is still tough to watch them go rocketing around the corner of the block on their scooters or bikes, even with helmets firmly attached, and their promises to stay on the sidewalk. I have to accept that there's nothing I can do about the drivers texting while at the wheel or any other potential unthinkable events that might befall us.
DeleteI am sorry about the people you mentioned. If it's any consolation, I was also fairly black and white in my thinking in my earlier years. Time has mellowed my outlook in this area considerably and I appreciate that things are very much shades of grey (oh, damn, I guess I can't use that phrase now). ;) Perhaps they will also become more flexible and willing to evaluate different perspectives down the road.
Thank you for being so open, honest, and respectful as well. Anyone can see that you have a kind heart. And yes, even though we might have views that diverge somewhat in this area, we do have many commonalities too.
♥ Max
All the best,
J.