Saturday, April 28, 2012

Amber and it's special symbolism

For months now I've been looking for a special piece of jewellery to act as a keepsake for Max. To start with, I thought I wanted a locket in which I could place a couple of photos and a portion of his cremation ashes (there are people that will do this for you and seal them underneath a photo). I couldn't seem to find the right locket, though. I looked at antique Victorian lockets and some new white gold lockets, and found a few I really liked, but nothing seemed special or meaningful enough. I just couldn't decide, so I made no decision at all, even though I really, really would like to have something.

Then, recently, I started thinking about the idea of having a precious stone or crystal set in a sterling silver pendant, after I came across the website of a lovely lady who creates different kinds of memorial jewellery, particularly for people whose babies have died. I began doing some research into the symbolism of various stones, and looking at natural stone jewellery on the internet. I was repeatedly drawn to amber pendants, and I discovered amber had a special significance in representing grief, love, and motherhood.

Amber's value and symbolism goes back to ancient times, and it is associated with many myths from the Assyrian, Egyptian, Etruscan, Phoenician and Greek ancient cultures. The one that really struck me was a Greek one:

Phaethon, a son of Helios, the Greek God of the sun, convinced his father to allow him to drive his chariot of the sun through the heavens for a day, but in doing so, he came too close to the earth, scorching it. To save the earth, Zeus, the God of thunder and the sky, struck Phaethon with a thunderbolt and he died, plunging out of the sky. Phaethon's mother and sisters were frantic that they could not do anything to save their son and brother. In their grief, legend has it that they found themselves turned into trees, and ever after they wept tears, which, when dried by the sun, made amber.

The Roman poet, Ovid, tells the story in Metamorphoses:

And all the daughters of the Sun went there
giving their tears, alas a useless gift;--
they wept and beat their breasts, and day and night
called, "Phaethon," who heard not any sound
of their complaint:--and there they lay foredone,
all scattered round the tomb.

The silent moon
had four times joined her horns and filled her disk,
while they, according to an ancient rite,
made lamentation. Prone upon the ground,
the eldest, Phaethusa, would arise
from there, but found her feet were growing stiff;
and uttered moan. Lampetia wished to aid
her sister but was hindered by new roots;
a third when she would tear her hair, plucked forth
but leaves: another wailed to find her legs
were fastened in a tree; another moaned
to find her arms to branches had been changed.

And while they wondered, bark enclosed their thighs,
and covered their smooth bellies, and their breasts,
and shoulders and their hands, but left untouched
their lips that called upon their mother's name.

What can she do for them? Hither she runs
and thither runs, wherever frenzy leads.
She kisses them, alas, while yet she may!
But not content with this, she tried to hale
their bodies from the trees; and she would tear
the tender branches with her hands, but lo!
The blood oozed out as from a bleeding wound;
and as she wounded them they shrieked aloud,
"Spare me! O mother spare me; in the tree
my flesh is torn! farewell! farewell! farewell!"
And as they spoke the bark enclosed their lips.

Their tears flow forth, and from the new-formed boughs
amber distils and slowly hardens in the sun.

The idea of amber symbolising a mother's tears was a really meaningful one for me. Amber is also significant to my understanding of Max's story because it is formed in nature from fossilised tree resin, or sap. Amber has been said to be like a time capsule made by the earth because during this fossilisation  insects and leaves and other natural material becomes embedded in it, preserving a moment in time. In fact, hundreds of now-extinct insects have been identified using DNA found in amber. My deepest with, when I remember Max, is to preserve the moment in time we had together, and for this reason, wearing an amber pendant in his memory seems to so perfectly encapsulate all of my feelings. 

I am having trouble deciding on the type of setting I like, and also finding someone, like a silversmith, who can produce something unique for me. Here are some pictures I've pulled from Mr Google of settings I like. What do you think?










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please feel free to share your thoughts or feelings, big or small, with me here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...