Things you might like to know
Thursday, July 12, 2012
Where to from here?
Seven months, two weeks, and two days ago, my beloved, longed-for baby died. I left him in his hospital crib, with a kiss upon his cool lips, to be wheeled away by a stranger who did not love him as I did and who could not have possibly tended to him as his mother should have had the chance to.
Not long after that, I came here. I made this space on the world wide web where my little son could be celebrated, loved, remembered and mourned. I did not know how much I would need this space for the overwhelming flow of thoughts and emotions that spilled, and continue to spill from me. I needed it a lot. I don't know how I would have survived without this outlet. There's only so much talk therapy a girl can afford.
At the time I also did not know that there were other women like me doing the exact same thing all over the internet. I certainly searched for them in the first vile days after my baby was taken from me. They were invisible then, but slowly I've discovered other bereaved mums pouring their hearts out, too. I stumbled across one blog that resonated with me, and I followed its links to another, and then another, and then one more. There's a baby loss community out there and I've been watching it from the sidelines, silently. For even I don't know what to say to those who have suffered my fate. I am but a stranger, leaving strange words and empty platitudes on their pages. No matter my warm and genuine intent, I always feel like a stranger who has stumbled somewhere she is not meant to be, looking upon the innermost recesses of a person's heart and soul.
I desperately want to be part of that community. I want to offer my story and I want to be there to listen to the stories of others. I want to connect, I want to participate, I want to grow and learn, I don't want to be alone anymore.
The fallout of a friendship back in March, as a result of a public expression of my grief, regret and sorrow, sent me into hiding. Putting myself out there like that left me feeling very much under threat. Whilst the majority of people who had an 'opinion' on my grief were supportive, and other bereaved parents thankful that I had written such an honest piece, a couple of others, who knew the friend in question, offered unduly harsh personal attacks, saying that my nasty, evil true colours shone, well, evil-ly, I guess, in that piece. Their opinions didn't count and I know their wilful misreading of my piece was just that - a misreading. But my sense of safety and sanity did count. I was too vulnerable to ignore those voices as just background noise and I still wasn't sure what I thought or felt about anything I had written. That piece of writing was straight from the deep recesses of a grieving heart.
Given my chance again I might not write that piece in quite the same way. Given the chance, I know those feelings of unfairness and blind, seething pain at the birth of my friend's baby would have passed. As my psychiatrist said so wisely, that piece documented the beginning of a story. My friend's inability to sit with me through that messiness meant that I would never get to come out the other side of that story where I would realise that her baby was not Max, and I could develop a relationship with him, and his mother, that was apart from the loss he initially signified for me.
I didn't know how fearfully offended people are by emotional honesty and by the many faces of grief itself back then. Now, fortunately or unfortunately, I do. Few people outside the baby loss community want to hear the cries of rage, disbelief and sorrow wailed, and sometimes spat, by the grieving mother.
My closest friends and family do. Even if it is uncomfortable to see me suffer, even if I sometimes offend or hurt them by what is currently my very black and white view of the world, they want to come to this space and sit with me. It's all they can do. It's all I want them to do.
I have trusted a handful of people to come here and bear witness to my experience and to Max's life. By opening myself to them, some of those people who weren't close friends before, have become so. This blog has also kept the lines of communication open to those who were already closest to me, during times when I did not feel like talking but wanted them to know how I was. Some friends I would previously have considered some of my closest don't even know about this blog. I don't know how I decided who I could 'trust' here. It wasn't any conscious decision I made, I just had a feeling that some people would 'get' it, and wouldn't feel the need to have an opinion or a reaction to how I feel or what I write. I was right with that feeling. I was spot on.
This blog has been private since those few days I felt so threatened by people's reactions to my grief. I hid myself away like a frightened animal. I deleted my Facebook account. I completely withdrew. I haven't regretted that. My opinion of Facebook remains, at present, that I can do without it. But I want to connect with those who have been here, and those who unfortunately will find themselves in my place in the future. I don't want this to be a static space, a monologue. I want it to be a conversation about how we live with loss. Or, just, how we live, which I know now to be the exact same thing.
I know that this blog won't always be solely a place of sorrow. It will grow and change as I do, as those who have been following from the beginning will know that it has already done so. But it will always be a place for me to find Max - to think of him, to love him, to mourn him, as I will do all the days of my life.
You will notice this blog has a new address - http://mydearestinfant.blogspot.com.au - for that's what Max is, and what he always will be. My dearest, darling, first-born infant, for whom my heart longs.
It's been seven months, two weeks, and two days since I lost him. But there are so many days to come. I'd like to invite you to stay with me. And please, let me know when you're here. I've enabled comments so that everyone with an OpenID can leave a note, or simply tell me that they've dropped by.
Thank you for reading. Thank you for remembering Max. Thank you for bearing witness to my love for my perfect little son, who was taken from me too soon, and who is the first thing I think about in the morning and the last thing I think about at night.
I love you, my darling Max. I love you so much.
Labels:
baby loss community,
blog,
reflection
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I've popped over here from Sally's blog, and I'll come back. I'm so sorry your sweet boy is not there in your arms where he should be.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by to share in my story of my little boy. I really, really appreciate it. I just read on your blog, briefly, of your own little girl, Anja, whose loss you are grieving. I, too, am so sorry she is gone. I'm so very sorry. I would really like to read more of your story, and your experiences. I hope to do so over the weekend. I'm glad to have found another voice whose experiences and sentiments echo my own. I look forward to getting to 'know' you, although I wish we were all here trading recipes or something equally nice and 'fluffy', instead of mourning our babies.
DeleteI'm so sorry for the loss of you darling Max.
ReplyDeleteI lost my Liam to an incompetent cervix and premature birth at 23 weeks last August. I miss my firstborn with all my heart, and I long for him each and every day.
I will continue to join you here, and remember and miss Max with you.
Sending love and light. xx
Tash, thank you for visiting, and for sharing your little boy, Liam with me. 23 weeks gestation is so cruel. So close to being OK, but yet so far. I just popped over to your blog and was immediately struck by your beautiful photography. What an amazing talent you have. I was heartened to read of your new pregnancy, and I send you all my very best wishes for the nervous weeks ahead. I look forward to following your journey, and learning more about yours, and Liam's, story. Thank you again for introducing yourself. Take care.
DeleteHere from Tuesday's Hope...
ReplyDeleteJust want to send the warmest hug your way... I lost my baby girl to neonatal loss last year. Her sister arrived this year, three days before my beloved's would-be first birthday.
But my firstborn was a hard-fought miracle child who slipped out of my hands too soon. I struggled with infertility for years before I got pregnant with her. And then, just like that, someone threw a pebble in the pool. She vanished.
I came back empty handed, with her bag of clothes unused. And a house that was emptier than it had ever been.
That raw, primal fountain of anger, desperation, love, and silent howls - I have been there.
My deepest empathy, Max's mummy.
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and remember Max with me, and for sharing your story with me in return. How is it that our babies can just vanish into thin air, as you say? Seven months on and this is a question that still swirls in my head and in my heart. I don't believe it is possible, and yet, here I am living with evidence that it's not only possible, but that it happened to me. I'm so sorry that you, too, had to come home without your long-awaited baby. I have bags of clothes, unused, too. So much potential. So much waste. That about sums up the whole thing, I think. I am heartened to read of the safe arrival of your rainbow baby, and I can only imagine the storm of complicated emotions in which she made her hearty entrance to the world. I hope that you are finding joy, alongside the sorrow, in this new stage of your life. Thank you again for letting me know you were here.
DeleteI'm here and I'll follow your journey down the dark path and into the light again. Cause I know the light will come again one day. It won't be the same light...it will have a different, softer hue. But there will be light again.
ReplyDeleteSending love and light.
Em
Em, thank you for coming, for letting me know you were here, and for your words of wisdom. I'm very sorry to discover that your daughter, Eva, was so tragically taken from you. Eva is one of my favourite names, it's just beautiful, as was she. I will visit your blog this weekend, and I look forward to following your journey, too. I feel privileged to be able to share it with you. Thank you.
DeleteI'm so sorry you dont have Max here to kiss and hug, I'm here from sally's blog and wanted to say that you are not alone. Life is so hard to navigate without our babies.
ReplyDeleteMy second child and first daughter died 1 year and 12 days ago when I was 38 weeks pregnant for no apparent reason. Trying to function in life, as a mother to our 3 year old son and find joy and beauty and hope has been a challenge. I miss my daughter with every breath. I am currently pregnant with our rainbow baby.
Blogging, this community of BLM has been a lifeline for me. One I am not sure I could have managed without.
I will go back to your blog and read you feelings, your story.. But it was important for you to know that your heart is safe in our hands as is Max's memory. Sending a giant hug to you.
Dear Renel. Thank you so very much for popping over from Sally's blog. What an amazing gathering place she has created there. I am in awe.
DeleteI just read the latest post on your blog, and it echoes something that I wrote a lot about in the first few months after Max died - the pain of Thursdays. Max was born on a Thursday, and each week of my pregnancy excitedly ticked over on a Thursday. Each Thursday we would read about what our little baby was up to and how he was growing. LIke you said, first it was every Thursday that passed after he died that was so hard to take.
Thank you for reassuring me that my heart will be safe in this community. Some days I still feel so vulnerable. Other days I feel strong enough to face anything. I don't know which of them is true. I guess both are.
I'm so very sorry that your beautiful little daughter, Camille, died so suddenly, and without good reason, not that there ever is a good reason for a baby dying. I know what it is like to try and accept that your child has died for 'no apparent reason'. How can that be so? I ask myself that question every day. It is so hard to understand. It is so hard to accept.
I feel honoured to share my story with you, and thank you for letting me be a part of yours, too. It's a special privilege, and one I don't take lightly. I will see you on your blog soon, and hope to see you here again, too.
Welcome to this community, J. We are so very sorry you are here, and wish you had no good reason to be. Max is loved and missed. I wish he was home with you now, snuggled up on this chilly winter's day.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get some valuable support here. I will help you in any way I can.
With love.
xo
Thank you, Sally. I feel so fortunate to have met you that day. So very fortunate. Your blog is an amazing place, and I feel so privileged that the community of women you have brought together with your words has been generous enough to embrace me, too. Often I feel like a sad, stray puppy, from whom everyone averts their eyes...do you ever get that feeling?
DeleteYou're the best!
xx
I'm here now! Remembering and honoring your boy with you and bearing witness to the road you are on with my beautiful friend Sally and too many others xo
ReplyDeleteGlad to have you here, Suz. I look forward to visiting your space, too! Thanks for coming!
DeleteI'm here from Sally and so grateful to meet you here. I'm so sorry your dearest Max is not in your arms, so sorry you know this pain too, but also so grateful to know you and Max. My daughter Lucia was stillborn at 38 weeks in 2008. I just wrote a piece on friendships. It is hard to weather blogging and being open and vulnerable and friends. I lost some, which may have been bound to be lost, but still hurts to have so many secondary losses. With love. xo
ReplyDeleteAngie, I'm so very honoured to have you here. Your blog is one of the first I ever found. I've read it voraciously since then, marvelling at your beautiful words; the divine imagery and poetics you create. I'm in awe of the community you have gathered together and I feel so fortunate to have discovered it, and even more so, to be welcomed as part of it. I can't tell you how much it means to have you come here and remember Max with me. I am grateful to know you, and your beloved Lucia, and the life you so generously share with strangers across the world. Thank you, for everything.
DeleteI'm here from another blog I follow. Wanted to say that you write beautifully and thank you for sharing these feelings that most find so hard to find. I, myself, haven't lost a baby in the same way as you have, I have had ectopics and two miscarriages the last one the day before mothers day and I could make out his/her little fingers. Hugs to you and thank you again for allowing me to read these thoughts.
ReplyDeleteDear Katie, thank you for coming, and thank you for your comment. I'm very glad to have you here, and I am very sorry to hear of the very troubled road you have also experienced on your road to motherhood. All of our losses are so keenly felt, no matter whether they're termed miscarriage, or stillbirth, or like Max, neonatal death. If I learned anything from having my baby at 23 weeks it is that our babies are real, living people so much sooner than we ever realise out here on the outside. I would love to share your story at your blog, too. I will follow your link. I look forward to seeing you there soon.
DeleteI am here from Sally's blog. I am so moved by Max's story, what a sweet boy.
ReplyDeleteOur beautiful baby girl Ava died at 34 weeks from complications of HELLP syndrome. I almost lost my life in the battle to save us both. I am now pregnant with her little sister.
The blog community is here to support, help, listen. I am fairly new to blogging, though have been "lurking" ever since February 2011. Thank you for writing. It is women like yourself that have given me strength in the darkest of hours.
Melissa, I am so glad to have you here. Sally has sent some wonderful, kind and generous people my way! Thank you for sharing in Max's story, and for sharing a snippet of yours. Ava is such a beautiful name, I'm so sorry she is not here with you. I know a little of HELLP syndrome - my sister-in-law had it and her baby had to be delivered at 27 weeks because of the danger to their lives. None of us had ever heard of it before. I have just opened up your blog, as I would like to share in your story as you have shared in mine. I, too, have been 'lurking' for half a year now. We can do this blogging thing together! I look forward to reading your story, and to seeing you here again soon.
DeleteHere from Sally's blog. Just showing support as a fellow BLM blogger. This space has been the most valuable grieving tool and I don't know what I would do without it so I hope you find the support you need. I started out private because I was scared of people I've met who are just acquaintances being able to read my deepest most personal thoughts. I've become a little more brave by going public, but it's still a struggle knowing all your "guts" are out there for just anyone to read. Then again to come in contact with other moms like us is so worth the fear.
ReplyDeleteI lost my first child, my daughter Addison on 12/5/10 at 40w and 5d. To a cord accident. Two months ago I had my rainbow baby. A brother for Addi. I still have lots of struggles missing her so much, but haven't been able to blog very often. I'm hoping to get back to blogging soon as I'm in a different place in my grief, but still grieving.
I'm so sorry about your son Max. I'll never understand why babies die. It's the cruelest thing to happen to a mother.
Love to you and your sweet boy. Xxxooo
Thank you so much for stopping by to show your support. It really means so much, which I'm sure you know, from your own experiences. It is scary baring your soul of your most intimate thoughts and feelings. You have to trust so much that people will respect and look after your heart. I'm so sorry that you also lost your first child. To think that such an accident can happen, as what happened to your Addison, is a devastating thought. I don't expect to ever stop grieving. I would like to read of your experiences in grieving while being a mother to your rainbow baby. It's a challenge I can, at present, only imagine. Congratulations on your new baby, it is so heartening to hear you were able to bring a baby home with you. Thank you for coming.
DeleteI'm here from Sally's blog and I just wanted to say how sorry I am about Max.
ReplyDeleteSeven months feels like forever yet such little time has passed. I am almost 4 years out from my loss and although you may not believe me, it does get easier to bear.
Sending you peace and love. Thinking of your little boy, Max.
Monique, thank you for taking the time to visit here, and for keeping Max and I in your thoughts. Time is such a strange thing - as you say, it feels like I have been living with this forever, but at the same time I know it is only early days. It is such an overwhelming thought. I'm very sorry that you have experienced the death your baby, too, but I am grateful to be able to learn from mothers like you, who are a little bit further down this road. Your experiences are so valuable, and so reassuring. I would like to hear your story, too, if you'd like to share it some time. Thanks again.
DeleteHello Ms J, I'm here from Sally's blog and I've just been reading through your archives here this evening. I'm so deeply sorry for the loss of your son, Maxwell. He was such a beautiful baby and I do so wish he were here, in your arms. There is so much love in your words, such deep, strong love. I do believe that there are certain things that death cannot break and I believe that a mother's love in one of them. And, if other people find that uncomfortable or strange, that is there loss.
ReplyDeleteI lost one of my twin daughters to premature labour at 23 weeks, it is an agonising point in a pregnancy, that tipping point of viability. So far and yet no further.
Thinking of you and remembering your Max x
Catherine, I am so glad you are here. So glad. Thank you so much for your words of comfort and understanding. I'm so sorry that your little daughter, Georgina, did not make it home with you. I am so in awe that her twin sister did. I want to ask you so many questions. I have your blog open in another tab and I want to go and read every word of your story. Whenever I see or hear '23 weeks' it hurts me so much. It is an agonising number, you are right. I hope you will stop by here from time to time so we can remember our 23 week-ers together. Thank you for sharing your story.
DeleteHi Janelle, I'm here from Tuesday's Hope. I'll join you on this journey, the good days and the bad - together this we stay strong - this community understands and we stand stronger together.
ReplyDeleteI lost my daughter Amelia at 39weeks on 24th September 2011 - just 2 months before your sweet Max. The days go so fast, yet so slowly and I remember those days when she was so close and I could touch her still like they were yesterday.
Thoughts are with you and your Max xx - Di
Thank you so much for being here, Di! I would love for you to join me, and I'd like to join you, too, in remembering your daughter Amelia, and sharing in your family's story. The 24th will always be a special day for both of us. On the day Max died I thought I was the only person in the world that this had ever happened to. In some ways I wish I was, so that so many babies didn't die, but in many other ways I'm glad I'm not, as it is already such a lonely road to walk, I can't imagine how I could bear the burden without others to talk to. It means a lot to have you here.
DeleteI wish that this place did not have to exist. Your sweet little Max is beautiful. I love your story of his birth. The love you feel for him is evident in your words. Finding others who felt the pain I felt has helped me in so many, many ways. My son was stillborn a year ago. We have since had another son but the pain is always there and I miss him everyday. Thinking of you and your Max.
ReplyDeleteThanks for joining me here, Paula, and for sharing in Max's story. I am so sorry that you, too, have lost a son, and heartened to hear of the safe arrival of your new son. I would love to follow your journey, too. It means a lot to have you here.
DeleteHi Janelle,
ReplyDeleteHere from Sal's blog as well. I am so sorry Max is not in your arms, so sorry that you have joined us on this road. Wishing you peaceful moments between the waves that pull at you.
Dear Sophie, what a beautiful line - 'peaceful moments between the waves that pull at you'. Sums it up quite nicely, I think. I'm very glad to have you here. I think I have seen the photo in your profile on something Heartfelt have done. Would that be right? The beauty of that image is breathtaking. Your beautiful daughter, your visible love for her - it's just so tender. I recognised it immediately. I am sorry to talk to you on this grieving-for-a-lost-baby forum, but glad to talk to you, at the same time.
DeleteYes, it's from Heartfelt. :) I love this photo.
DeleteI read your latest post. Don't worry too much about the feeling vulnerable... just know that each and every one of us, has been there. I don't know who first described it as such, but someone once said that we develop our friendships backwards in grief. All the hard, horrible deep stuff first. xx
I found you through Tuesday's Hope. I remember the isolation and loneliness of those first days and months. I felt so much like nobody understood and that I would always be alone in this pain. I remember desperately googling the terms miscarriage, stillbirth and support. I clung to the hope that somewhere, I would find something that would help keep me afloat. I wasn't sure what I was looking for but had this weird sense that I would know when I found it. And I did. I found women who have been my saving grace. Women who know me better than my own husband, at times. I found a strange sense of bond with women that I know I'll probably never meet in person. Sometimes, I think it's odd that complete strangers are those who I count among my closest friends.
ReplyDeleteAs much as I wish there were no need for these kind of blogs, it's comforting not to be alone. I hate that I fit into this group. I'm sorry for those loss of your sweet boy and that you find yourself in this group also.
I'm glad that you've found a community that understands; a community who will hold, love and support you when others won't or can't.
Dear Crystal, thanks for your very lovely comment. I also desperately google, and still do, anything to do with neonatal death, preterm labour, dead babies in various guises. I'm glad google exists, as where else would I have gone for information? But sometimes I feel like it lets you in on TOO much information. There are some things I wish I could un-know, if that makes sense. Thank you for joining me here, and I hope to see you again soon.
DeleteHi there,
ReplyDeleteI'm dropping by from Sally's blog as well. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss of your sweet Max. Seven months is so incredibly raw and early days. This is a wonderful, supportive community, there for you along the road.
I lost my daughter at 40w back in 2003. It'll be nine years for me next month. The years have tempered the quality of the grief, but it's still there, always there. There's no aspect of our lives that have not been coloured by it.
Hi J, thank you so much for dropping in, and for your kind thoughts about Max. Seven months feels like forever, but also like just the beginning, as you say. I'm very sorry that you, too, have lost a child, your lovely daughter. Nine years ago I had no idea such a thing was possible - even a year ago I had no idea babies really died. Thanks for taking the time to comment and let me know you were here.
DeleteDear Janelle,
ReplyDeleteI wanted to send you love.
I'm here from Sally's blog.
I'm so sorry these circumstances bring women like us together. I'm so sorry your Max is not with you today, in your arms, cooing about.
I too lost a child. My son, Alexander David, born Feb 27 2012, still. I was 41 weeks and 2 days pregnant. What the hell, right?
Yeah...
I don't have a blog. I am 4 and a half months out. Maybe one day I'll see where the "start here" for blogging my story exists. For now, I'm still walking along side other women's stories. Getting to know everyone...
I've come to know some really amazing women in this community. Glow in the Woods is a beautiful site to visit, with some tea and a cozy sweater on... lap top or tablet in hand... and just grieve the night away. I did just so, many days, that lead into night after the death of my son.
So brave of you so share your story. Thank you for doing so. It seems we all know how hard it is in the beginning to find anyone that has a dead baby. And then here we are, standing hundreds, thousands, and the count goes on... strong - together.
We need each other. We need for each and every one of us to be here. And I thank my lucky stars that I have all of you lovely women in my life.
I think this community saved my sanity. No joke.
My heart is with you, and Max
Love,
Veronica
Dear Veronica, thank you so much for visiting and for your very heartfelt comment. To think that you got to full term and then suffered such an unimaginable loss is truly astonishing in its cruelty. Over the last seven months I have heard too many stories of babies dying for no apparent reason, and at full term. What the hell is right. What the BLOODY hell?
DeleteI'm really glad to hear from someone whose grief journey is still so new and raw like my own. I'd really like to get to know you more, so I hope you keep coming back!
I'm so sorry that your son, Alexander, died, and that you find yourself in this place with me, and all the other hundreds of women we've both since found. Your son and mine share a beautiful name. Max was my partner's favourite name, and Alexander was mine, so our son was Maxwell Alexander. I love seeing his name written down, and hearing it spoken. Do you, as well?
I'm sorry Alexander died, but I'm glad you're here. Those feelings seem conflicting, but I think we're all full of such conflict now, joy and sorrow are the same thing, anger and gratitude are the same thing. Everything is just all mixed up and back the front.
Thanks for letting me know you are here, Veronica. You, Alexander, and your family are on my mind, and in the special place in my heart I now have reserved for little lost babies and their mums and dads.
xx
I love the name Max. Perhaps from the famous little book about Max and his wild things or maybe because I just love the way it sounds rolling off my tongue. M A X. Max.
ReplyDeleteHere from Sally's blog, sending love and sadness over what happened to Max and your family.
Peace as you move forward without your Max, especially as you enter the nine month and one year marks, months that felt so impossibly hard for us.
Dear Josh,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for visiting. My partner always wanted a son called Max, so Max he was always going to be. I liked to think of the Max you mention from that rich, wonderful story. The only problem with Max is that at the moment it seems everywhere. Stores called 'Linen to the Max' or other stupid things. It always gives me a jolt.
I just visited your blog, Josh. I am in awe of how beautiful your family is. I'm so sorry that Margot died. Your description of the fear that day encompassed, and the disbelief, were overwhelming to read. Your photos of Margot are beautiful. She was beautiful.
I feel honoured that you have visited mine and Max's space. Thank you so much. I'm also heartened to read of a dad's perspective on the death of a child. I know my partner has not been able to find much support in his journey, and I plan on showing him your blog in the hope he will find something there that will make him feel 'heard'.
With much gratitude,
Janelle