The truth is, I've written so much over the last seven months that I don't even remember half of it, so I don't even really know what you're reading on here, or whether the things I've written are true, or were ever true, of what I've thought and felt since Max died. I don't want to know half the things I've written, it makes me sick to go over past posts. Every time I've tried I end up just cringing, like you do when you have to listen to your own voice on your answering machine message. It's excruciating, isn't it?
Words are funny. I'm never short of them, but still I feel like I can't quite communicate what it is I want to. That I can't make the words reflect what I mean in my heart. And if I, whose life has been working with words in one shape or another, can't find the words, then who can? I keep thinking of all the people out there who can't so easily express their emotions. If I didn't have this outlet my brain would have exploded from thoughts and emotions by now. Where do your thoughts and emotions go if you can't get them out? That frightens me, to have them all locked up inside, boiling away and threatening to burst your seams at any given moment.
Then again, I'm sure some people can't believe how easily I express myself, and are probably mortified by the depth and intimacy of things I reveal to the world. It's just who I am. I'm like this in real life, too. I'm always just open. Sometimes people take advantage of that and stick hot pokers in, but mostly people seem to really value it as a quality, and in turn feel like they can open up around me. It's a blessing and a curse, as most valuable things in life are, I guess.
Thank you, every one of you, for coming here to sit and remember Max with me for a while. For no matter what else I may bang on about on here, philosophies, psychologies, politics, whatever, that's what this place really is, a place to remember Max. All the rest is just me thinking and pondering things out loud, and expressing the conflicting range of feelings I now live with every day. Sorrow is joy, joy is anger, anger is love, love is sadness - they're all the same thing to me now. All those distinct categories have blended into one. When I write of something I'm angry about, it's probably actually fear doing the talking. When I write of something that has made me sad, it's probably actually anger. How can I expect you to tell the difference if I can't? Well, I don't know. Just know that everything here is exactly as it seems, and not what it seems at all, all at the same time.
I visit, and have visited in recent days, many of your blogs. I could write a comment on every single post I've read. So many of your words resonate with me. So much so, that I have this overwhelming desire to eat them all up, to ingest them, so that I can keep them inside, within easy reach. What I find interesting, and challenging, is the diversity of this community I've found myself apart of. We all have differing opinions and beliefs on really big questions - like why do babies die? Where do they go when they die? Will we ever see them again in some form of afterlife? Many blogs I've read are written lovingly by deeply religious people, or by people whose other philosophies differ so profoundly by mine. I'm not offended by this, I'm interested in the ways our journeys differ, and, sometimes, are exactly the same, despite our many backgrounds. I feel the need to offer some kind of disclaimer that I hope that no one will be offended by my views either, which are, after all, tied up with the insane ramblings of a desperate, grieving mother. No one in their right mind should listen to those pearls of wisdom, so take everything I say about anything with a grain of salt.* After all, as Max's death taught me, I KNOW NOTHING AT ALL!
* except things I write in capitals. If I say something in uppercase then you can trust that I really mean it, OK?
Thank you all for coming. I hope to learn more about all of you as we share this completely unenviable journey.

We've travelled a very similar path, and share very similar views. I'm glad to have found you, though I wish it didn't have to be like this. I wish it could have been at the park, getting a coffee or something, somewhere with Max in toe.
ReplyDeletexo
That beautiful image just brought tears to my eyes as I imagined myself turning up to my favourite cafe with my pram, like all the other 'real' mothers I see. Sometimes I'm so caught up in dead-baby-land that I forget that I was supposed to have a living baby. It's gotten to the point that I just assume that dying is just what babies do. That's a bit messed up, isn't it? Thank you for the lovely image. I hope one day we do get to go around the park together with our snotty-nosed, screaming, tantrum-throwing, thoroughly-ALIVE infants/toddlers. I will hold on to that thought. xx
DeleteOh Ms J. It is a strange mixture of liberation and mortification, this blogging thing. I feel so many of the things that you have expressed here, that I have never really written precisely what it is that I want to say about my daughter, that I'm worried of being held to account for feelings that were transient but, because I wrote them down, seem set in stone. I don't often read my past posts for the reasons that you describe.
ReplyDeleteBut I think that, most of us who write or read blogs, understand that each post is only a snapshot. Or a passing idea. Not necessarily who you are now, what you think now. And how you have felt? What you have thought? I don't think that is anything to be ashamed of.
Remembering your dear Max.
You express so perfectly my fears, too Catherine - of being 'held to account' for transient feelings, or ugly feelings, but I want to manage these fears as I don't want to change the way I write my experience because predominantly this blog is a place for me, as much as I hope it will also be a place where others will find understanding. I make sense of my world through writing about what is true at the time, if only so I can later discard that particular truth and make another. I guess that's what we're all here doing. I don't believe any of us should have to sanitise what is real. I hold to that belief fiercely. I really value your insight - I take so much understanding, and so many significant thoughts from reading your comments and your blog. Thank you! x
DeleteOne thing I decided early on in my blog...I will NOT (notice capitals) cesnor my innermost feelings. I will write about my living son as I please etc. The thing is that a blog is YOUR space, MY space and my family, my daugther, my son, our loss, all of it is interwoven. If people do not like what I say they do not have to read it. They can unfollow or move on. I have left my blog public even when I do not know who comes to read because one thing I needed desperately when I lost Camille was to find other mama's who where in the anguish I was and had kept on living. Keep writing, and know that people care and will support you through the trials because as you know there are dark days, weeks, months, with shiney light and love amongst. We have eachother.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your words of support, Renel. Everything you say is so right, and your blogging 'philosophy' also sits really well with me. This is my space. I am the keeper of it, and of Max's story. I really love that you are here sharing it with me. And, for the record, I'm glad you're uncensored as I have gotten so much from reading your blog the last few days, I can't tell you how much. I only wish I'd found you sooner! Sending you all the positivity I can muster as you approach the next nervous 7.5 weeks. xx
ReplyDeletereading your posts tonight has taken me back to the days when I thought I would never be able to keep going. I am still here and am still no wiser but am learning to enjoy life again.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you xx
Thank you so much. It is heartening to hear from people who are still going. . . despite at one time perhaps believing that they could not.
ReplyDelete