This blog has been neglected. I have been sick, so very sick, that my life has been on hold, along with everything in it, including my relationship, my friendships, my household, my work. The last eight weeks I will refer to as 'The Troubles', because that's what they've been. That's how they'll be remembered.
I didn't have a trouble-free pregnancy with Max. Far from it. Unfortunately, this pregnancy has panned out in the exact same manner, marked violently by the suffering of hyperemesis gravidarum, and distressingly, the depths of a major depression.
What I should say first is that this baby appears to be healthy, despite my suffering. This is important. What I should also say is that I am still grateful for this chance, for this baby, although this gratitude has been overwhelmed so far by sickness, terror, hopelessness, and hospitalisation.
Firstly, the hyperemesis. It is so widely misunderstood. It resembles nothing like this 'morning sickness' I keep hearing pregnant women talk about. It transcends amelioration by ginger biscuits, black tea, and dry toast. It involves vomiting that goes beyond the kind that makes a funny story when you vomit one day on the train. It means you cannot eat or drink or move or speak. It requires IV re-hydration and strong medications you'd rather not take. It means you can't work, or socialise. It means you can do nothing but lie in a darkened room and count the hours, the days and the weeks away, wishing to be put out of your misery, questioning the decision you made to get pregnant again, feeling like it will all be for nothing when this baby dies too.
The nausea and vomiting has been bad. I've felt more like I've got a terminal disease than I'm pregnant. I've been taking Maxolon, Doxylamine, Vitamin B6 and Ondansetron since about 6 weeks, when it kicked in with a vengeance, ending up with me at the emergency department numerous times feeling like I would surely die. The drugs have helped, especially with the vomiting, but it's not until the last couple of days that I've felt like eating or that I haven't felt the pangs of nausea as constant background noise in my body. If I don't take the medication on time, the vomiting returns with a vengeance. With Max, the sickness didn't begin to improve until around 16 weeks, which is the usual course of the illness. That's still a lot of weeks to go. These 13 weeks have been so long.
Secondly, the depression...the depression has been something else entirely. Not that it's unfamiliar to me. I've suffered major depression most of my adult life, probably longer. But the speed with which I went down, and the depths to which I fell, shocked and scared me, and those around me. I'd been previously stable on a 20mg dose of Lexapro and weekly sessions with my psychiatrist. I hoped all of this would not come crashing down, but it did. It's been the roughest few weeks of my life.
During my pregnancy with Max I also became severely depressed, and as a result, my psychiatrist increased my medication dosage to 30mg when I was about 13 weeks pregnant with him. And then Max was born prematurely. No one can say for sure it was the antidepressant that caused this to happen. In fact, all of the experts I've consulted have assured me that it wasn't, and that what happened doesn't fit the risk profile for the drug (there are other risks associated with it, though, being a Category C drug, which my doctors and I had made informed decisions about). But it was the one definitive thing I've clung to that I did 'wrong', and so the increased Lexapro dose has rather a nasty reputation in my mind.
So, when I started going downhill this time our approach was to proceed with caution. Not to increase the drug dose until absolutely necessary. It did become necessary, about two weeks ago, after I was admitted to the Albert Road Clinic, a private psychiatric hospital, in a state of absolute despair and distress, unable to go on, unable to function in any way, shape or form. I have to say that the last two weeks have been some of the darkest days of my life, and that's even considering the time I've spent grieving for Max over the last eleven months. Depression is such a debilitating illness, and such a scary one. There have been times when I have feared I would not survive it.
I write today because I've had some small reprieve as a result of intense treatment and new medication. I could not have done this even ten days ago. I could not have done anything to help myself. I feel that I'm far from out of the woods, but the new medication has given me a glimmer of hope that things won't get any worse.
I hated being in the hospital. I felt helpless and abandoned and scared and ashamed and guilty that I was causing everyone who loves me to worry so much. But one good thing came out of it. My psychiatrist sought the advice of a specialist perinatal psychiatrist regarding my treatment. I could not have been more bloody relieved to see him. He is an expert in the field of treating pregnant women with various mood disorders and mental illnesses, including ones far more serious and debilitating than mine. He was the greatest guy. Just the greatest. He took my situation very seriously, but he was also incredibly reassuring that there was a lot we could do to make it better; that we were at the beginning of the road of possible steps, not at the end of a hopeless one that I would have to continue to endure.
There was too much information, too much discussion, to go into here. It was about causes, and treatments, and consequences, and about a giant balancing act between my health and that of the baby. We are treating my depression with a different drug, a 'safe' drug, at a higher dose. The drug has no known associations with preterm labour, but untreated depression does. The drug is working. I am at home. I am eating and drinking. I am dressed and functioning. This is what the experts say is best for my baby - a healthy, functioning mother. I have to trust them. I will not be fit to look after a baby, should this baby live, without this treatment.
There's still some way to go. I'm still so much on the edge, with so little resilience in the tank. And I'm so scared. I'm scared I will not cope with the months ahead. I'm scared I will not cope with another dead baby, and then sometimes I'm scared that I will not cope with a living one. I didn't expect to be so scared. So utterly, utterly terrified.
And where is Max in all this? I haven't been writing to him, or about him, on this blog, but he is here with me as present as he ever was. He is part of everything I experience and feel. He is part of this pregnancy. God, I wish he were here. I wish my baby were here. As the anniversary of his birth approaches this is more true than ever. November was going to be a rough month without all this other stuff. With it, it's not surprising that life has been pretty unbearable, that I've been so helpless and needy.
I want to feel better. I'm trying so hard. But this is not easy. None of this is easy.
I am so lucky, I had three relatively easy pregnancies. I see this more clearly now, after reading what you are currently enduring, and have endured. I send you all my love. I know there is a long way to go, and it must seem insurmountable now. You can do this.
ReplyDeletexo
Thank you so much Sally. Pregnancy does not agree with my poor body. I just hope my body keeps this baby safe and inside for much longer than 23 weeks. This fear is getting more real as the weeks pass. Your support means so much. xxx
DeleteI am glad that you have found the right support to help you and at functioning. You have faced so much already in this pregnancy and I hope that you have right people around you who understand and support you in every way that you need it. Thoughts to you. Di xx
ReplyDeleteThank you, Di. The one good thing about hitting rock bottom is that you get to see the best in the field. It's a shame things have to get so bad before you find out about them though! xx
DeleteI'm so sorry this has been so hard, that you have been so sick and so scared. I'm glad you've found a doctor who can help you. Sending love and hope for an early end to the hyperemesis.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. The hyperemisis is finally under control (touch wood). In a few weeks I hope that everything will be feeling much brighter. xx
DeleteOh Dear - How awful. How wretched. I can't even come up with an adjective horrible enough to describe what you've endured recently. Subsequent pregnancy is terrifying and emotionally exhausting as it is let alone with all these extra complications.
ReplyDeleteHoping that the plagues of hyperemesis and depression don't stick around much longer. Sending you love and healing.
You're so right. I thought I had predicted how terrifying and emotionally exhausting subsequent pregnancy is, but I couldn't have. I appreciate your support so much, and hope to be reporting better news soon! Xx
DeleteI lost 15 pounds in the first 6 months of pregnancy because I had such a hard time keeping the vomiting under control. My heart hurts for you, and I'm so glad to hear that things are under control and going better now.
ReplyDeleteSending lots of hugs and positive thoughts your way.
Wow, I had no idea what a tough road you've been walking. I hope the hyperemesis eases off soon and that the treatment you're receiving with the specialist (sounds like he rocks!) continues to go well. Hang in there. There's a lot of us out here thinking of you and cheering you on, every step of the way.
ReplyDeleteOh Ms J...I'm so sorry it's been so rough. Sounds absolutely awful.
ReplyDeleteI've been terribly sick this time around, but it's only in comparison to my first pregnancy which had a relatively vomit free first trimester. It doesn't compare to the hard times you're going through.
I didn't take into consideration how hard the physical side of pregnancy would be with this second baby. I didn't know how much of an impact it would have on my emotional state.
You are so right. None of this is easy.
Sending love to you.
Remembering your Max. So much love to him too