Saturday, December 29, 2012

Our new special jewellery

For over twelve months now I have been looking far and wide for a piece of jewellery to wear in memory of Max. I was very fortunate to receive a few keepsake gifts bearing Max's name and his initials from friends after he died but I also wanted to choose something special that I could wear every day as a quiet reminder that he is always with me.

I began wanting a locket but could not find the perfect one. Then I wanted an amber pendant, but you guessed it, I could not find the perfect one. I have been fighting a losing battle to find a piece of jewellery special enough to represent everything Max was, and is, to me. I think I was silly to try as there is not an object on earth that could possibly signify such love, such pride, and such sadness.

Leslie had been wanting to get a necklace he could wear too. Then one day recently he came up with the idea of wanting a rabbit pendant - the rabbit being the Chinese zodiac sign under which Max was born. Immediately it seemed like the most wonderful idea. I wanted something that had special significance to us but that would not necessarily be immediately obvious to anyone else. The rabbit would be perfect.

I spent ages on Etsy and other websites looking for a suitable pendant but all those I found seemed a little too cartoon-like or were just made out of cheap materials. Then yesterday I decided to go and spend some of the gift cards I received at Christmas and I must have been in a wandering mood. I stumbled into a Pandora store and found the rabbit that I wanted. I've never been in that store as I thought I hated those silly charm bracelets with all the bits hanging off them, but it turns out that when you wear the bracelet with just one or two charms connected it in fact looks very simple and sweet, just what I like. I snapped it up and ran home to tell Leslie that he should go back to see if he wanted to get the same one. He did, and ended up getting the little rabbit to wear on a leather strap necklace.

When this baby girl is born I will add something that represents her, too, and I may add an 'M' for Max also. I had trouble taking pictures of the bracelet as it showed up terribly in all of my shots, so here is a picture of it from the internet, and the silver Pandora bracelet it is attached to you have probably seen before.


We will wear our jewellery for our own sweet bunny rabbit, our darling Max, and strive always to find new ways to remember and honour him.

Mummy and daddy love you, Max - always and forever.



1 comment:

  1. I think that is beautiful!! I want to share with you that I bought a pandora too for my first Christmas without my daughter. I bought her a butterfly and my eldest son's charm was the boy charm. When I went looking for something for my rainbow, I bought a pumpkin... as his nickname was pumpkin king and he was born in October so it fitted the halloween theme. :)

    It's these little things, which aren't really little to us, that turn into our own special traditions and rituals. One day, instead of feeling sad only, you will smile as well and see the beauty you have created remembering him. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please feel free to share your thoughts or feelings, big or small, with me here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...