Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Not pregnant, not happy, not convinced that there's a reason to hope

Just how much we want to have another baby is impossible to put into words. We have been so ready to be parents for such a long time now. We were so bloody close. I can't get over that. I can't get over how my darling Max just slipped through my fingers. I can't believe that I ever was pregnant in the first place now. So much of what happened seems to belong in the realm of dreams, or more accurately, nightmares.

I didn't want to be an 'older' mum, but I will be, if indeed I do get the chance to bring home a living baby, which at this stage is from a certainty. But I didn't want to be the mother of a dead baby, either, so maybe I just don't get the things I want. That's how it seems. There's a lot of self-defeating emotions that go along with those thoughts that destroy any hope I might have that things will one day be different. It's hard to keep believing when you've had everything you previously believed in taken away from you. Yes, it's hard to hope in the absence of any evidence that the hope is not just an elaborate self-delusion.

We have been trying to get pregnant for three months now. For two of those three months I have experienced very convincing phantom pregnancies. You hear about these things but you don't know how real they can be. You don't know how your mind can trick your body into manifesting all types of signs and symptoms, from stinging nipples to fluttering baby kicks in your abdomen. My psychiatrist says I'm not going mad; that phantom pregnancy symptoms are very common in bereaved mothers, and in women who have desperate desires to be pregnant. You might not be going mad, but you sure as hell go through a number of significantly distressing states when you realise you can't trust your body, your intuition, or anything you think or feel, as all of them were telling you that you were pregnant and all of them were wrong.

I know that three months is not a very long time to try for a baby. I know that I'm doing an absolute disservice to couples who have been trying for years to conceive by complaining that I'm not pregnant after three measly cycles. But when you consider that each month that passes gets racked up as evidence in my brain that Max was a fluke, that he was my only chance at motherhood, and that the end of each cycle brings on a grief response as intense and distressing as if I've just lost him all over again, then three months begins to sound like a very long time after all.

I got pregnant with Max almost straight away. I couldn't believe it at the time. And now, of course, I just assume that this is how it should be, and that because it is taking longer there must be something Seriously Wrong. And, I know, that what I am going through right now is only the beginning of a long list of fears and uncertainties that I will have to face along my journey to bringing a baby home. This scares me. It scares me so much. I can only barely cope with the trying to conceive part - how many other steps will there be upon which I might falter?

The realisation that there are not necessarily better times ahead, but tougher times, is enough to send me scuttling off to bed, never to get up again.

I read a wonderful book last week: Elizabeth McCracken's An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination (thanks to Sally for recommending it, I got so much from it). Elizabeth's baby died. He was stillborn in the picturesque, romantic French countryside. I want to write more about this book in a separate post later on, but right now I want to talk about it's 'happy' ending. Elizabeth and her husband went on to have two living children after the death of their son. Of course those children were not a happy ending to their tragedy, as there is no such thing in those circumstances, but they were a different ending, and one that got them to the place they wanted to be despite their tragic beginnings. They are parents to living, breathing children. It doesn't make what happened to their son OK, but does it make it even the slightest bit better? Even by a little bit? I don't know the answers to these questions, but I want to know. I want to have the chance to find out.

Every story I've read about dead or dying babies has ended with the grieving parents conceiving again and bringing home the baby. I know from reading blogs that this is, so sadly, not always the case. But the stories with the 'happy' endings are the ones getting published and mailed well-meaningly to desperately grieving parents in the days after their baby's death as a way of reminding them to hope, to remember that everything always works out alright in the end.

But it bloody well doesn't always work out in the end, does it? I hope and I pray, though I have no deity to pray to, that we are able to have another baby. But there's a chance we will not. There's always the chance that we will not. And I can't mitigate those feelings of despair that we'll always be the poor couple whose tragedy is being talked about over brunch in between mouthfuls of organic eggs by smug families with disgustingly expensive prams. I hate smug families, but at the same time I want the chance to be smug and happy. I feel like a very unattractive, tantrum-throwing toddler: when is it my turn? What about me?

Well, what about me? I don't want to turn into one of those conception nazis that is decreeing on a military schedule when it is time to get down to business. I don't want to spend all month sitting at home doing nothing but obsessing over why I'm not pregnant yet, which is pretty much what my life currently entails. That level of stress can't be good for conception, but HOW CAN I NOT BE STRESSED?

I consulted with my GP. She is so compassionate and so understanding. She knows this must be hard, but she assures us that three months is nothing. None of the tests I had after Max died showed that there'd be a reason why I could not get pregnant again. But how can I believe them? Everyone was wrong about everything! They could have just as easily been wrong about this.

I want to control this situation. Oh, yes I do. I have learned to sit with a great deal of uncertainty over the last eight and a half months. It's been hard, but I am learning. But I see uncertainty in every single direction I look right now and I'm finding it really hard to accept that. Surely there's only so much uncertainty that you can be expected to manage at once? Ah, but that's not true either. There's no such thing as a 'fair' amount of anything. Shit comes to you whether you can cope with it or not.

I've told Leslie to keep a close eye on my activities. I've often laughed uproariously at women professing to consult crystals and spiritual healers to aid conception. But I'm one step away from becoming them, I tell you. Who am I to say that their magic doesn't work? I don't know anything anymore, remember? People get desperate when they are searching for answers that can't be found. I don't want to be the lady wearing rose quartz and moonstone in her bra. I want to be the one who gets pregnant this month despite all her fears to the contrary. The one who can sit back and say 'what was I ever worried about?' and laugh, smugly.

I want the wind to change.

I want another chance.

I'll do it better this time, I promise. I won't let this one get away.

I won't let another baby get away.

Just give me a chance.


11 comments:

  1. Even though we are several months apart in our loss...it looks like we are on the same 'trying again' schedule.

    We tried several times. I don't know if I count May...we didn't get serious until June.

    I've started a blog, and unfortunately started it with not so good news.

    I can't advise you what to do, or how to feel...because lord knows I'm clearly no expert. I too got pregnant last year with no effort. First time, one time, as a matter of fact. Trying after loss is a world of hurt on its own. We were there already...what could we possibly be doing this again for so soon...?

    You might see me, too, with crystals around my neck and candles lit throughout my boudoir. What ever it takes...

    Love to you, Ms J. May it find you and impregnate the hell out of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it in a nutshell, Veronica: 'what could we possibly be doing this again for so soon?'. I didn't express it that well myself, but that is exactly how I feel.

      And 'impregnate the hell out of you'? I love it! I hope that for you, too!

      I'll keep checking in with you to see how you're going. Sending you love and wishing you luck. xx

      Delete
  2. I remember this. I remember it all too well. Like it was yesterday. How was it not yesterday? Childless, bitter, angry as all fucking hell and not pregnant again. It was desolate. I was desperate. They were by far the darkest times of my life.
    Things turned around for me, things improved. Two more living babies came to me. I got lucky. I got so lucky. So many others get lucky as well and you're right, just because it happened for others doesn't mean it will for you, but the odd are in your favour. That is hard to believe right now, god damn it I know it. But let me believe it for you. Let me hold on to your last glimmer of hope, even if you think all hope is lost. Because I can do that for you.
    Don't give up. Do whatever you need to do. Lean on those around you. Write blog posts.
    You are understood. I'm so sorry you're here. I hope your story plays out like mine in some way.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The odds ARE in my favour, I know all of this in my logical mind. Numerous doctors have assured me there's no reason to think I won't fall pregnant again. But I don't trust any of that anymore. I don't trust anything to turn out alright in the end. Thank you for hoping for me. God knows, I need someone to. And thank you so much for making me feel heard. That's really all I want, I think, to cry out and for someone to listen. I am hoping on the days I can, and signing it over to you on the days I can't! Thanks for visiting even though you are in the midst of your own grief this week. It means so much xoxox

      Delete
  3. Oh, Ms J. I hear you. I know my situation is different because I am lucky to be the mother of one living daughter, but I relate to so many of the things you've said here. I didn't want to be an older mother either, and I was already pretty much there with my first, but if I ever do get to have a second, I am really going to be an older mother. So much older that I can hardly bear to think about it. Conceiving E was so easy and when we started trying for another, I thought that would be too, but 2 years, 4 pregnancies, 3 miscarriages and 1 stillborn beauty later, I can hardly believe this is my life, my story. I'm sure my friends do discuss me between bites of brunch - my friends who in that same time frame have happily produced their second, and even third, children and are all done, complete, fulfilled.

    Three months may not be that long, but every month is long, long, long when you desperately want another baby, a different ending. I am going to be believing with Sally, for you. I know how incredibly hard it is to hope for ourselves - let us hope a little for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Stillborn beauty" I love that! She is absolutely stunning!

      Delete
    2. I can't begin to comprehend the sheer magnitude of your losses. That's when I start to feel 'lucky' I've only suffered once. I'm starting to hate those words, lucky and unlucky. We're all of us both of those things in some measure or another, in different ways.

      Thank you so very much for joining the 'Hoping for Janelle' brigade. It sure needs members as it's leader isn't really practicing what she preaches!

      I DO want a different ending. I know Max doesn't get a different ending to his story, though, and so I feel guilty for wishing it so.

      And, just as an aside, I hope those people discussing us between bits of their smug brunch choke on their bacon, just once! :-)

      Delete
  4. It is all-consuming, the desire to conceive again; obsessive. But what other choice do you have but to keep trying each month?

    Coincidentally, I also read McCrackens book last week for the first time. I love how she captured the grief and experience so much, that I've copied some as quotes to my journal.

    Hang in there Momma. Day by day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is obsessive, isn't it? My obsession is magnified by the fact that I have a lot of time to spend indulging it at the moment. I'm working on that...

      I copied almost the entire book to my journal! So many meaningful quotes and snippets.

      Thanks for being here for me. Day by day it is. That's all I can do. xx

      Delete
  5. Oh Ms J. It is all-consuming and obsessive. I fell pregnant with the twins my first cycle, fell pregnant again on the first cycle but miscarried and then it took me a year to conceive my little boy. That year felt like an age. As March says, every month is long, long long. I wanted him so much and it felt as though I were wishing my life away. And yes, I was a year older than I would have liked and there is a bigger age gap between my son and his sister than I would have liked. But what we like doesn't seem to come into the equation does it? Sadly.

    But, in the end, I got lucky. So lucky that I can still scarcely believe it. That I am still sad despite the amount of astounding luck that I'm clutching my sweaty palm. They have made it more bearable. They are something so entirely separate from Georgina as individual children and having them doesn't touch my grief for that loss of the particular person that would have been Georgina. But they did ease some of the other hurts and anxieties. I would be being deceitful if I said that they didn't.

    And, again like March, I am speaking from the privileged position of having a living child from the very beginning. So I've never had to stand in this place, described so perfectly by Sally. All I can say is 'may the odds be ever in your favour' and I am hoping, hoping, hoping for you.

    Still have never been able to read Elizabeth McCracken's book. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the phantom experience, both before I was ever pregnant and after I lost Nathan. For years, we tried to get pregnant and every month I'd convince myself that this was "THE" month. (I have endometriosis and so we knew we were in for a long, struggle to get pregnant from the beginning.) So much so, that I'd actually experience pregnancy symptoms and physically cause my period to be late (which only served to fuel my hope that I really was pregnant). With each visit from Aunt Flo, my hope and dreams were shattered... over and over and over.

    Fast forward: 9 years later, one living child and a couple weeks after losing Nathan. I was watching TV and all of a sudden I could have sworn I felt a baby kick. I froze... in shock, confused. I can't even describe the emotions. I knew there was no longer a baby inside of me so why the .... was I feeling movement and baby kicks?!?!? At one point, I wondered (briefly) if maybe I had just dreamed the whole thing (about losing and delivering him). I thought maybe that wasn't real. They made a mistake... he's still alive and inside me. (Crazy, I know but I couldn't help it... I couldn't stop my mind from going "there".) It went on for months, happening usually out of the blue and taking me by surprise. I didn't mention it for about a month, to anyone. I literally thought I was going crazy. I was so relieved to learn that it was an actual phenomenon and that I wasn't crazy. It took about 6-7 months but it finally stopped which partly made me happy and partly made me sad.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please feel free to share your thoughts or feelings, big or small, with me here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...